All content © 2019 by Phil Hastings all rights reserved.

  • Black Instagram Icon
  • Black Vimeo Icon
RSS Feed

March 14, 2020

Work continues on the Antitype project refinement of the stage 1 video, possibly more updates on that process to come later, and stage 2 and 3 (at least what I'm calling them for now) continues as well. Because I'm always interested in process and tools as well as image and content, this work was done created solely using Final Cut Pro and custom effects made in Motion and incorporated into FCP. The original imagery is the same video used in the stage 1 piece from the last post.

November 13, 2019

A new single-channel video installation in the works. Developing connections between type/antitypes and memories.

September 19, 2019

Another test abstracting and manipulating imagery to music. Just a rough early go at this looking for potential ideas for future projects. This particular video uses the same technical processes to abstract the imagery as the previous post's video, but instead of using 3D animation, this time the original footage is old-school direct animation or painting on film. Here I'm using a 16mm direct animation project I did as an example for a class assignment and then did an off-the-wall telecine at 4K with the Panasonic GH5 then finished in HD. Lots of steps to create something new out of something old. Music again by Monplaisir under a CC 0 license.

September 19, 2019

One of two new experiments somewhat inspired by early Oskar Fischinger work. This first one takes the 3D animation done in Houdini which is currently on the home page on this site, and breaks it down and reconstructs it within Final Cut Pro to create the new animated piece seen here. Probably because the heavy guitar in the music by Monplaisir, used under a CC 0 license, and the somewhat comic book like textures, I am reminded of the animated Heavy Metal movie from the 80's.

July 24, 2019

First time using the vellum controls in Houdini. Lots of potential.

July 24, 2019

Just one more bit of software I'm trying to learn. There is so much potential for Houdini in my work. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes but know it will be a while until I'm really confident with it.

Another early test with Houdini with color grading and post effects done in Final Cut.

July 24, 2019

I've started to explore the 3D program Houdini and finding it very exciting but also something that I need more time and a much better computer to do effectively. Here are some quick tests. Yes, I'm drawing on my love of science fiction here. Always dreamed of creating something in 3D. Just a sketch really and I realize already a number of things I've done wrong in the modeling of this drone, still a lot of fun.

April 26, 2019

Last nights attempt at learning how to replace skies using BlackMagic Designs' Fusion software. May have gotten a bit heavy on the "film effect" look, but I always say I'm allowed to because I've shot and finished in film. That's the rule.

February 10, 2019

Another quick endoscope test. Not a lot of time to develop this but looking at some possibilities. This is surgical tubing. The translucency and flexibility could be interesting.

December 29, 2018

Received an endoscope that works with my phone for xmas. Lots of possibilities with this. From painting on film to 4K RAW and everything in between. Always good to expand your creative options.

October 6, 2018

Here's a perfect example of what I am talking about in my previous post. This image evolved from the previous post over a period of about two weeks of on and off work. Going down the rabbit hole, it is easy to get lost variations pop up some viable others die and wither and need to be removed. The ones with potential are isolated, nurtured, pruned and taken care of. Eventually something emerges. This one has potential.

October 6, 2018

The start of some new Threshold Series pieces. This process is always interesting and sometimes infuriating. Unlike 3D animation the process is much more chaotic. There is much less control over individual elements and something as simple as re-layering two different effects or tweaking a single parameter just a few points can completely alter an image. The process requires a lot searching and grouping in the dark until the forms start to take shape and then once they do they are so fragile that without multiple versions and backups it would be easy to have found and lost the work almost instantaneously like a dandelion caught in the wind.

Please reload